The purpose of this page is to put old announcements and links to pages which have been removed from my homepage.
The intent it to list the most recent things removed first.
Problem Solving and the History of Mathematics - Spring 2018 Online Course Offering ~ WIU ~ Math 406(G). Click here for details.
The 24 Percent Tweets project is complete. Click>>24 Percent Tweets for the information webpage with links. Click>>Learnist Board if you want to use the Learnist version. There are 4 Learnist Boards (1, 2, 3, 4). Each board explains 6 important percent concepts (for a total of 24 concepts).
Seeing Structure in Expressions - Symbols Come to Life: Meaningful Mathematics with A-SSE. This webpage created for my ICTM presentation on October 18, 2014.
iPad For Novices and iPad For Schools: Information, Links, and Resources - Since I'm new at the iPad, I made these pages to help myself and other newbies. A Few More iPad Tips
Secondary Mathematics Teaching Methods (Math 503) is an online course we offer here at W.I.U. At present, the next semester that it will be available is not set. If you are interested in this online course for future semesters, e-mail me.
- 5 Reasons Why Origami Improves Students' Skills - very nice article. It has some embedded links to other articles and resources. Fractions, spatial sense, and problem-solving - Woohoo!!
- InspiroChristmas1 is one of the first drawings I made using Inspirograh, a really cool app/program, found at http://nathanfriend.com/inspirograph/. Spirograph is dripping with symmetry, LCM, and GCD. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
- Getting ready for the new school year, I came across a few nice lists. Teachers (and teachers-to-be) are awesome! I hope you find these four lists helpful.
- Two former WIU students have been featured on the evening news lately. Kirk Humphries is flipping his classroom at Washington Junior High School in Rock Island, IL. Lisa Litchfield is using mobile devices (Smart Phones, iPads, etc.) to engage 8th and 9th grade students at Camp Point Central School. It is very rewarding for me to have great students who go on to become teachers and make a difference in the lives of their students (and far surpass me technologically!). KHQA WQAD
- Problem-Attic - Wow, this is great! 80,000 of the best questions from NY Regents, State Assessments, NAEP, TIMSS, Academic Competitions, and more. Select, Arrange, Format, Print. Generate worksheets and Problems of the Week (POW's) in no time at all! Easy to use.
- This is a series of 7 Posters which answer the question (with specific examples from Art, Food Technology, Physical Education, Science, ICT, Geography, and Business Studies), "When will I ever need Maths?" (BTW, maths is the short form of mathematics that most of the (non-US) English-speaking world use.) From www.mathscareers.org.uk. (It is a big PDF file, so it might take a while to load.)
Wir sind ein Volk (We are one people) - In 2015, a 2 Euro commemorative coin was released commemorating the 25th anniversary of the reunification of Germany. The Berlin Wall going up, and coming down, in my lifetime is a big deal. The coins show people celebrating in front of the Brandenburg Gate, in Berlin. Also on the coin: on the edge of the coin: EINIGKEIT UND RECHT UND FREIHEIT (Unity and Justice and Freedom), 25 Jahre Deutsche Einheit 2015 (25 years of German Unity25 years of German Unity). A number of years ago I made a PowerPoint on the Berlin Wall, chronicling the history of the Wall (my perspective). Berlin is one of my favorite cities. The Wall came down in 1989 and Germany was reunified in 1990. I have the 2 Euro coin and a LEGO model of the Brandenburg Gate in my office. Stop by and see it.
Fall 2015 Online Course Offering ~ Math 406 - Problem Solving and the History of Mathematics - Begins (online course) Aug. 24, 2015. Click here for more information.
Math Resources for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment - Workshop for Farmington Jr. and Sr. High, October 31, 2014
Rates, Ratios, Proportions, and Linear Functions: Algebraic Reasoning in Grades 6-9 - Workshop at RI-ROE, October 29, 2014
Macomb Teacher Institute Day Workshop for Junior and Senior High Math Teachers - 1/3/2014
Tasks and Resources for Preparing High School Classrooms for the PARCC Assessments (9-12) - Teacher workshop materials & links. Adkinson, IL (BHS R.O.E. - 10/29/2013), Rock Island, IL (RI-R.O.E. - 12/5/13), Macomb, IL (R.O.E. #26 - 2/26/14); Quincy, IL (R.O.E. #1 - 4/30/14).
Mental Math Workshop Handouts - Feb. 28, 2012, Macomb, IL & Nov. 1, 2011, Atkinson, IL.
My Fall 2014 Courses: (Click here for office hours.)
IMPACT - Integrating Mathematical Practices and Classroom Teaching webpage
Hot Potatoes is a great program for making online quizzes. I have some online math quizzes.
- Warning: Two MET's coming. The MET-2 draft report is available for public comment. The Mathematical Education of Teachers II (MET-2) draft is written by the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences (CBMS, which is made up of sixteen professional societies). The original MET report came out in 2001. For more information (including to make comments) click here.
- MET Project - The Measures of Effective Teaching Project is sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The site says, "We know that great teaching matters more than anything else within a school. More than class size. More than school funding. More than technology...The Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) Project is designed to find out the best way to give teachers the information and support they want. The 7 C's are from the Learning About Teaching: Policy Brief.
Moved to Teaching Resources>>Math Education Research and a Plethora of Committee and Government Reports* - *The list of reports was compiled on the occasion of the Common Core State Standards - these reports were the precursors for the CCSS.
Moved to Teaching Resources>>Teacher Facilitator Page - I prefer the term "Teacher Facilitator" over "Teacher Leader," but they are similar.
Moved to For Students Page>>Notes for Student Teachers - a page of suggestions written for math majors.
Making (Informed) Mental Math Decisions: Four Factors for Appropriate Use - Presentations delivered at the
Linking Mental Math, Concepts, and Context in 7-12 Mathematics - Presentation delivered at the ICTM Annual Meeting, 10/16/2009, the MoCTM Annual Meeting, 12/4/2009, and the NCTM Annual Meeting, 4/23/2010.
- NIMS Mathematics & Science Page- has links and contact information (updated 7/14/2011). Click here for the Monmouth 2011 Wiki Page.
- 2012 - (1) The MAA has an interesting Number-A-Day blog. (2) Unfortunately, the blog states that 2012 is a "lazy caterer's" number, but I believe this is false :-(. However, 2017 is a "lazy caterer's" number. I really like the idea of the lazy caterer randomly cutting the pizza or pancake, so I'm including it. Two more cool things about lazy caterer numbers is that they are 1 more than a triagular number (see Handshake problem...see Freddie Gauss adding method) and that they are the central polygonal numbers (OK, I'm almost done). (3) With 2012 being a leap year, the months of January, April, and July copy eachother. We already know January started on Sunday, April, and July do the same.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Christmas Bells). Has a very interesting story behind it. Click here.
- CNN Heroes: Everyday People Changing the World - Recently, CNN recognized their top 10 heroes for 2011. Lots of great stories. Kudos to CNN for doing this and helping us remember that people are doing things to keep our world from falling apart.
- WIU Soccer Team Wins Regular Season and Tournament - The Western Illinois men's soccer squad (13-6-1) used a come-from-behind victory to capture the 2011 Summit League Tournament Title and earn a berth into the NCAA College Cup. Coach Eric Johnson was named 'Coach of the Year' and coach Johnson and his players have won numerous awards this year. Go Leathernecks!
The collaboration pyramid (or iceberg) - Teamwork is alway interesting. This blogger has a few things to say about the rest of the pyramid/iceberg.
Timeline for Department of Mathematics 4-Year Chair Review - Fall 2010
Hot Potatoes is a great program for making online quizzes. I have some online math quizzes and we plan to make more.
Click here if you are a New WIU Student to learn how to Activate Your WIU Computer Username and Password.
Math and Science Academy 2007 - Online Math Games and Activities for the Teachers and Students at Kewanee and Sherrard
After School Math Games
What Do Middle School Teachers Need to Know to Teach Mathematics Effectively - from the State of Illinois and professional societies.
Timeline for Department of Mathematics 4-Year Chair Review - Fall 2010
|You Can Do the Cube.com - Solve the Rubik's cube. Lots of nice educational materials. Download the solution|
|Tom Hull's Origami Work - Tom Hull invented the PHiZZ (pentagon-hexagon-zigzag) unit which can be used to make a dodecahedron or truncated icosahedron (soccer ball) - with only 3 colors. Google or YouTube for PHiZZ unit or Tom Hull to find more (including the 5 Intersecting Tetrahedra model).|
My father, Walter J. Olsen, passed away Sunday, May 2, 2010. He will be missed. His obituary can be found here.
Millennium Math Express Page - (from Other Info page) [program has been discontinued] Fun online math activities especially for students in grades 4-8.
World Maths Day - Unfortunately this has past for 2009. I just now learned of this event - which is quite large and growing. It is the first Wednesday in March each year. The students play against each other in mental arithmetic games. Students are captivated by the fact that they are playing in real time. Each game lasts for 60 seconds, students can play as many games as they wish. BTW, "maths" is the short form of mathematics used in most of the english-speaking countries outside the US, where we use "math."
• Millennium Math Express Page
• Upper Room Devotional
• Today in the Word
Math 100 page
Math 123 page
Math 206 page
MASA 2008 Online Math Games and Activities
ISAMS 2008 Infomation Page
Hot Potatoes - This is software for making online quizzes. "Hot Potatoes is not freeware, but it is free of charge for those working for publicly-funded non-profit-making educational institutions, who make their pages available on the web." From the University of Victoria.
Danica McKellar, TV-star and UCLA mathematics major, has written two great books: Math Doesn't Suck: how to survive middle school math without losing your mind or breaking a nail, and (her new, second book) Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss.
The graphic at the top is a "Buckyball" (after Buckminster
Fuller) or fullerene. Buckminster Fuller invented the geodesic dome,
which has a similar structure.
The Buckyball is a model of the C60 molocule, is made up of 60 carbon atoms. Mathematically, we call this shape the truncated icosahedron. It has 32 faces, of which 20 are regular hexagons and 12 are regular pentagons. See also and Buckminster Fuller Institute. He was even on a US stamp.
Math 303 from fall 2008 page.
Summer 2008 Course Offering ~ WIU Quad Cities Campus ~ Math 599 ~ Algebraic Mathematical Modeling for Middle School Teachers
Math 100 Page
"Westernonline" Click https://westernonline.wiu.edu/
|Actress and UCLA-Math Major graduate, Danica McKellar has written a great book titled, Math Doesn't Suck: how to survive middle school math without losing your mind or breaking a nail. It was named in Amazon's "100 Best Books of 2007." Danica has played many roles, including Winnie Cooper of The Wonder Years.|
Third Grade Quickie Online Math Activities I
The KnotPlot Site is a very nice site to see an example of math and beauty. You can even study mathematical knots. Interestingly, this is one of the oldest sites on the Internet, which is still being activly updated. It was actually the first "cool math site of the week" on February 4, 1996 at Knot a Braid of Links. It is by Rob Scharein. Has a Knot Zoo and more.
The theme for Mathematics Awareness Month (April) 2007 is Mathematics and the Brain. Mathematical models play a central role in understanding brain cells, their interaction, and their function. Poster & Activities.
Math 303 Page - Technology and Secondary School Mathematics - Fall 2006. Daily notes.
Online Math Games and Activities for the Teachers and Students at U.T.H.S. II (2005)
Online Math Games and Activities for the Teachers and Students at U.T.H.S. I (2004)
Math-Science-Technology Integration: Dealing With Data for the Teachers and Students at U.T.H.S. Summer 2006
This year is the 300th anniversary of Leonhard Euler's birth. Celebrate Euler's 300th birthday. Check out EulerArchive, EulerSociety, or Euler-2007.
Two things noteworthy from the NCTM: (1) The Mathematics Teacher is an official journal of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM). It has been around for 100 years (it is actually older than the NCTM itself, because it started with the Association of Teachers of Mathematics). It is a wonderful resource for mathematics teachers. It's focus is secondary mathematics. The NCTM also has other quality journals. (2) The NCTM has recently released the Curriculum Focal Points which lists important mathematical topics which should represent major areas of content emphasis in K-12 classrooms. The document builds on the Principles and Standards for School Mathematics.
NUMB3RS is a drama about an FBI agent who recruits his mathematical-genius brother to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles (CBS - Friday nights at 10/9 Central - see about the show). NCTM and Texas Instruments have partnered with CBS to put together the We All Use Math Every Day Program, which provides math activities related to the math topics seen on the TV episodes of NUMB3RS. Check it out, I think you'll like NUMB3RS and We All Use Math Every Day.
Math 366 Students I have some practice percent change problems for you in a "quiz" on QuizStar. Click here for directions on how to use QuizStar.
Math 100 links - including the Problem Supplement.
Technology and the Secondary School Mathematics Curriculum (Math 655) - This is a "hybrid" course which is primarily an online course with two, all-day, face-to-face meetings on the W.I.U. Macomb Campus. We plan to offer this course summer 2006 (May 22 through July 13). If you are interested in this course, e-mail me.
Click here for a sample video.
The older WebCT system is found by clicking WebCT41 (then click Log in to My WebCT--then use your Ecom username and password).
Removed 1/13/2005:Numb3rs -A new crime show on CBS in which detectives use mathematics to help solve crimes. Friday nights at 9 p.m. central time, starting in September. I have not seen the show yet, but hope to. See also the official "We All Use Math Every Day" web site. See also NCTM News. (My top graphics change from time to time.)
Removed May 11, 2005:Math 402 Students Click Here for Geoboard Dot paper and here for Isometric Dot Paper.
Math 366 students click here for some Geometry Applets.
Please click here for IDSM ~ Math 550 ~ Course Information - This information is for participants in the In Depth Study of Mathematics (IDSM) Workshops, June 23-25, 2003 who wish to enroll for graduate credit through Western Illinois University
On April 24, 2003 Pi Day was held at Western Illinois University. Eighty-five fifth graders from Havana, Illinois came to campus for a day of fun math activities and pizza pie. There teacher wrote this response:
"All of the teachers, chaperones, and students had a great day at WIU from beginning to end. It was very well planned and coordinated. Lunch on a field trip is usually not peaceable, but having 2 groups at a time and puzzle activities was great. Every part of the day was well done. Please tell your students how much we appreciated their efforts as well as the WIU Math Dept.Student response to the day, the food, and the campus were all positive. One student was heard to say while walking from the bus to the Union, "Wow, I didn't think I'd ever want to go to college, but I'm going to have to work hard so I can go." [emphasis added] Responses to activities were equally enthusiastic. There were several groups doing Mathemagic Sheets on the way home.Thanks again from all of us. Karen Barrett, Havana Schools"
Math 406 students you may be interested in 1000problems.com.
(They may not have 1000 yet.)
Problem solving form: ps-form.doc, ps-form.rtf, ps-form.wpd (you can right-click and Save-As).
Math 503 on-line, Secondary Mathematics Teaching Methods is again being offered spring of 2003. If you are interested in future offerings, e-mail me.
New students, click here to learn how to get your Ecom username and password.
|The Western Illinois University community is taking the opportunity to focus on the issue of civility on our campus and on society.|
James R. Olsen
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Homepage URL: www.wiu.edu/users/mfjro1/wiu/
updated: April 6, 2018