Math 364 Information Page
Jim Olsen's Math 364 students ~ Westernonline
- Plop It! This is an excellent tool for interacting with mean, median, and mode. (It should work on an iPad ;-)
- NCTM Mean and Median applet - similar to Plop It!
- Textbook pages on Mean, Median, and Mode. Included are exercises and Always-Sometimes-or-Never questions.
- Color version of Ways to Represent Fractions.
- Electronic Book:
- Free GrowthMindset posters (for your walls ;-) from YouCubed.com at https://www.youcubed.org/resource/posters/.
- My office hours have changed slightly. See office-n-teaching.
- Basic Assumptions: I'm assuming you (1) can use the Equation Editor in Word (see YouTube or drop by my office, if you have questions); (2) have ready access to the edTPA handbook for Elementary Math using WesternOnline (if not, contact your adviser or drop by my office); (3) have ready access to, and have bookmarked the CCSSM (also linked below). Drop by my office if you have questions.
- Welcome to the course! I look forward to working with you in Math 364. We use two websites for this course. This one (for announcements and links) and Westernonline.
- Note that the edTPA Handbook for elementary math should be in Westernonline. Download it. If it is not there, contact your advisor or Dr. Olsen.
- Good article on the importance of conceptual understanding: https://education.good.is/articles/math-about-more-than-tests-memorization
- Technical support for Pearson (for the e-textbook) is 800-677-6337. (We use an electronic textbook, but be do not use MyMathLab, in Math 364.)
- Brain Rules - 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School. By Dr. John J. Medina. Lots of short videos.
C & I Lesson Plan Template
Lesson plan template (.docx) from the Curriculum and Instruction Department (please notify Dr. Olsen if you know that a newer version has been released).
Just Do It (mentally)
Fraction-Decimal-Percent Practice and Review Sheet
- many games and resources to choose from--organized by grade level.
Graphic Editing using Word
Websites - General
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) (PDF)
How to cite the CCSSM in a list of references: You may use the form on page R-12 of our text book or
National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, & Council of Chief State School Officers. (2010). Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. Retrieved from http://www.corestandards.org.
You may also include the content area or grade level as indicated here.
Teaching Resources - (by Jim Olsen ;-)
Glencoe Virtual Manipulatives - http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/mathematics/ebook_assets/vmf/VMF-Interface.html
Illustrative Mathematics - great source for CCSSM-linked tasks.
Universal Design for Learning - My PDF; www.cast.org; www.udlcenter.org.
Number Line Generator - http://www.oliverboorman.biz/projects/tools/number_lines.php
Our Math 260 page - (by Jim Olsen)
Common Core Math Standards: Information, Links, and Resources - (by Jim Olsen)
NCTM - National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Powerpoint on how to get the area formula for a trapezoid.
Websites - Learning Games and Apps
NCTM Illuninations - numerous lesson ideas and interactive applets
Math Playground - http://www.mathplayground.com/
Adapted Mind - http://www.adaptedmind.com/
Explore Learning Gizmos - https://www.explorelearning.com/ (Without an account, you can use Gizmo's for 5 minutes each day.)
Learning Farm - http://www.learningfarm.com/
Place Value Chart - iPad app (Tip: shake the screen to clear it.)
Pattern Shapes - iPad app
Back to Jim Olsen's
James R. Olsen, Western Illinois University
December 4, 2017 5:54 PM