Math 100 Information Page
James Olsen, Instructor
~ Fall 2018
Links: Westernonline | (access MML through WO)
- Welcome to the course.
- We are use three websites for this course.
- This page has announcements and links,
- Westernonline (WO) for online quizzes and recording of written homework grades and exam grades.
- In this course we will use an electronic textbook, through MyMathLab (MML). You are required to have an access code. The access code is included with the physical textbook from the WIU Bookstore or you can buy an access code online (and get no physical textbook). Note: Since you access (get to) MML from WO (WesternOnline) you do not need a courseID. (If you are asked for a courseID, you are in the wrong place.)
- Tech Tip for Macs and iPads for using MML: Go to settings|Safari and do not Block Pop-ups and under Block Cookies change it to 'Always Allow.'
- Technical support from MML (Pearson) is 800-677-6337.
- Desmos - this is a free (and very powerful and easy-to-use) online graphing calculator. I recommend you get used to using it. It will help you be successful in this course. It runs in the browser or there are apps.
- MML on an iPad: To view MML in the Safari browser, first go to settings|Safari. De-Select Block Pop-ups & Always Allow Block Cookies. Then reopen Safari. It is best to go to WesternOnline first and then click to get to MML.
- Grades from MML: Grades from MML will go to WO, but not immediately. Grades from MML will be synced periodically to WO. (Grades from MML can always be viewed in MML).
- Reminder: If you are going to be absent use the OARS System (or email Dr. Olsen). When you return to class, get the handouts from Dr. O before or after class.
- Check this out. This author specifically points out the importance of percents and percent change in our world!
- Two new resources to help understant percent:
Help Center hours will be posted during the second week of the semester. See also Free Tutoring
LEG Up Coupon System
Click here for the LEG UP Coupon system (extra credit).
westernonline.wiu.edu - We plan to use this for online quizzes and to post grades.
Percent Practice Quiz
In this course you will learn "24 Percent Tweets." This is 24 important things to know about percent. They are called 'tweets' because each can be stated in 140 characters or less. At the end of the semester there will be a Percent Quiz. It is a 15 minute quiz. Calculators are not allowed in the first 10 minutes. During the last 5 minutes you may use a calculator. Click here for a Practice Quiz.
Multiplication and Division Facts with Zeros
Practice-test here (Word file)
Quizlet deck (flashcards) for Multiplication and Division Facts with Zeros
How To Do Well In this Course - Suggestions from former Math 100 Students
James R. Olsen, Western Illinois University
Page last updated:
September 4, 2018