Recommendations: PC (Windows 2000, XP, or newer recommended) or Mac, Modem (>=28K, 56K recommended), Printer, Internet Service.
Goto https://westernonline.wiu.edu/ use:
- WebCT Browser Check
- Browser Tune-up Page (if your browser doesn't check out)
To install Java use (the WebCT Browser Check will tell you if you have Java installed) http://www.java.com/en/.
- There are 5 basic plug-ins. Most newer computers already have these (you need not re-download them).
- All of these are free, choose the free version and don't pay anything!
- After downloading, use can use the [BACK] button on your browser to get back here.
Test to See If You Have These
- Shockwave Player - Go to this page to test it: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
- Macromedia Flash Player - Go to this page to test it: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
- Adobe Acrobat Reader- Go to this page to test it: http://www.wiu.edu/users/mfjro1/wiu/stu/generic/SamplePDF.pdf. To download the Reader go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
(if you don’t have Microsoft Word, then you need the Microsoft Word viewer)
If you are running Windows XP or newer, you probably already have these
- WinZip (for Windows) at http://download.com.com/3405-20-871449.html?part=50220&subj=dlfpp&tag=button
- Go to download.com and search for "unzip." A number of options come up, WinZip, ExtractNow, CoffeeCup Free Zip Wizard.
- Media Player
Download some type of media player. One option is RealPlayer (get the basic one) http://www.real.com/realoneplayer.html?pp=home&src=011403realhome_1
If You Do Not Have Word or PowerPoint
Get the Word Viewer at
Get the PowerPoint Viewer at
**You can also go to http://download.cnet.com/ to get any plug-in. Use the search feature to find your plug-in.
See also the Plug-in Gallary at http://www.medtrng.com/plugins.htm
Go to the following page http://www.wiu.edu/users/mfjro1/wiu/tea/m503/whatis.htm#computerneeds